Who is she? People talks about Pandelela, Pandelela, Pandelela…Eveyone is talking about her, The Diving Queen of Malaysia!! Anywhere, everywhere…all nation is still talking about her.. But, did you know who is she? Which part of Sarawak, or Kuching does she comes from?
Well, here is a bit about her..
Pandelela Rinong anak Pamg was born on 02 March 1993. She is from Kampung Jugan, Bau, which means she is from the Bidayuh ethnic. At the age of seven, she was selected as a state diver and then continues her training at Sports School Bukit Jalil in Selangor.
At the 2009 World Aquatics Championships, she won a bronze medal in the Women’s 10 m Synchronized Platform with Leong Mun Yee and placed 5th in the Women’s 10 m platform. She also competed in the Women’s 10 m platform at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
She was the flag bearer for the Malaysian contingent at the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics in Singapore where she won the silver medals in the girls’ 10m platform event and 3m springboard event.
At New Delhi 2010, she won Malaysia’s first Commonwealth Games gold medal in an aquatic sport by winning the women’s 10m platform.
She became Malaysia’s first female flag bearer at the Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 London Olympics where she competed in the individual 10 m platform and the 10 m platform synchronized event with her partner Leong Mun Yee.
She became the first Malaysian female athlete to win an Olympics medal, and the first Malaysian athlete to win an Olympics medal in a sport besides badminton by winning a bronze medal in the Women’s 10 m platform at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. This also makes her the first non-Malay bumiputera to win a medal for Malaysia at the Olympics.
Well, you all must know that its not only in the previous London 2012 Olympics Games that this Diving Queen won ever, but she also had won a lot of medals from other games as well..
2012 Olympic London – 10m platform – BRONZE
2009 Rome World Championship – 10m synchro platform – BRONZE
2011 Beijing World Series – 10m synchro platform – SILVER
2011 Moscow World Series – 10m platform – SILVER
2010 Singapore Youth Olympics – 10m platform & 3m springboard – 2 SILVER
2010 Guangzhou Asian Games – 10m platform(BRONZE) & 10m synchro platform (SILVER)
2010 New Delhi Commonwealth – 10m synchro platform(SILVER) & 10m platform (GOLD)
2009 Vientiane – 10m platform & 10m synchro platform – 2 GOLD
2007 Nakhon Ratchasima – 10m synchro platform – GOLD
2011 Shenzhen Universiade – 10m platform (SILVER) & 10M synchro platform (BRONZE)
- Malaysians ecstatic over Pandelela’s historic Olympic win (mydestiny2011.com)
- Congratulations, Rinong wins a Bronze Medal for Malaysia (dinmerican.wordpress.com)
- Pandelela-Mun Yee finish in seventh place (borneotraveladvisor.wordpress.com)
- Going for gold: proud to be Malaysian? (hornbillunleashed.wordpress.com)
- Malaysia@Olympics 2012: Show us the Accounts (dinmerican.wordpress.com)
- Chat with Pandelela, first Malaysian woman Olympian medalist (marg.wordpress.com)
- Now for some time with family (todayonline.com)
- Malaysia diving bronze medalist looks to inspire young girls (bikyamasr.com)
- 2012 Olympic Action Starts in Wales, Sport (visitwales.co.uk)
- China back on top with Olympic diving gold in 10M (dailystar.com.lb)